Subject: Re: UPS Backups
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1997 20:42:58
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> The best bet here depends on why you want to UPS, and what kind of
> power losses you expect. If you expect mostly temporary flickers,
> then some sort of "wait for X %" would make sense. But I'd expect
> most power failures to be of the blackout variety, so just shutting
> down as soon as you get a power loss would make sense.

Since we're half a block from a hospital, power tends to stay up most of
the time.  The majority of power failures here, though, seem to be of the
5 second variety, since the power grid isn't exactly that great here in
the middle of nowhere.  I figure anything over 15 minutes is probably a
blackout, 20 at most.  That's why 30 minute backup of just the box would
be ideal.

Anyway, thanks.  :-)

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |