Subject: Re: arrow keys
To: Brian Andresen <btandresen@ucdavis.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1997 17:45:00
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Brian Andresen wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Paul Goyette wrote:
>
> > Last time I checked, they "just worked" out of the box!
> >
> > Of course, your application (or shell) needs to understand them.  Make
> > sure your TERM environment variable is set properly (should be either
> > vt100 or vt220).  If you want your shell to recall previous commands when
> > you press the up-arrow key, you'll probably need tcsh.
>
> FWIW, they don't work for me either (I also have an extended keyboard).
> Pressing one of the arrows yields an escape sequence like ^]0A to ^]0D,
> depending on which key was pressed.  I also have an extended keyboard on
> my other Mac, and when I telnet into the NetBSD box the arrow keys work as
> expected.  I've tried this with $TERM=vt100 and with $TERM=vt220, as well
> as inside and outside of dt.  Not a significant problem, but definitely a
> minor annoyance.

Well, the ^]0A stuff means that the keys are generating the proper escape
codes.  But what ever application you're running (or shell) isn't
interpreting them.  Do you also have the terminal type set in /etc/ttys?

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |