Subject: UPS Backups
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1997 15:15:16
I know this isn't exactly on-topic for this list, but please humor me.
It's really a mac-specific unix question, but not particularly dependent
on which mac unix clone....  :-)

Background:

We're considering adding UPS backup for a 7600 that happens to be running
MkLinux, and I thought I'd send it to this list as well, just to get some
answers from a somewhat different crossection of the Mac community.  The
goal is to back up the computer, without the monitor, for at least 30
minutes.

Questions:

1. What VA rating would you suggest to achieve that (the system's power
supply is rated at 3 amps max, no idea what the real drain is, though),

2. How hard is it to set up LAN signalling on a free unix clone (i.e. is
powerd or the equivalent available in source code form, and if not, how
hard would something like that be to write)?

Any ideas?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |