Subject: Re: compiling xhfs
To: Brian Andresen <btandresen@ucdavis.edu>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1997 16:12:31
I'm as much a novice as you are, but I think the problem is with the names
that tcl and tk use for the libraries.

>I'm a complete novice at this stuff, so bear with me as I ask my silly
>questions.
>

>I've installed the latest versions of both tcl and tk, and they appear to
>function correctly.  When I tried compiling the tcl portion of hfsutils,
>the linker complained:
>
>ld: -ltcl7.6: no match
>
>Here's the relevant portion of my Makefile:
>
>CC =            gcc
>INCLUDES =      -I/usr/local/include
>
>DEFINES =       -DNODEVLOCKS
>LIBS =
>
>TCLLIBS =       -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl7.6 -lm -ldl
>TKLIBS =        -L/usr/local/lib -ltk4.2
>XLIBS =         -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11

Change these to read:

>TCLLIBS =       -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl76 -lm -ldl
>TKLIBS =        -L/usr/local/lib -ltk42

and they will work.

Note that I've removed the "." in each library name.

I wonder if renaming the libraries would be a better solution, but I'm not
knowlegable enough to say.

Brad

>In /usr/local/lib, I see a directory "tcl7.6", which doesn't contain
>anything that looks like a library, and two other tcl-related files:
>"tclConfig.sh" and "libtcl76.a".  Obviously, nothing matches the name of
>the expected library.  Where should I be looking?
>
>Also, I'm curious about the "-lm" and "-ldl" libraries.  The autoconfig
>log for installing tcl contains "ld: -ldl: no match".  Where would I get
>this library?
>
>I'm sure there are obvious answers to these questions, but they're beyond
>my knowledge at this point.  Thanks for your help!
>

>Brian

Stephen B. Salai                            Phone (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                          Fax    (716) 262-3906
Two State Street                          email bsalai@servtech.com
Rochester, NY 14614