Subject: Re: Ethernet setup
To: Mark Murdock <fee@tetrahome.tetranet.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1997 12:23:03
At 10:44 PM 2/16/97, Mark Murdock wrote:
>I'm having a difficult time getting ethernet established on my SE/30.
>I have an Excelan EtherPort SE/30, and am running the recent snapshot.
>
>I'm afraid I just don't know where to start.  I've read through the
>FAQs, but still don't have enough information to get started.

Mark:

Simple answer.
Take a look at
ftp://macbsd.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/MacTCP.gif
or at
ftp://macbsd.jpl.nasa.gov/pub/OT.gif
Maybe 3 or 4 people have looked at the site and nobody has said the
picture's are wrong.

Detailed answer.
There is also an Amiga Net FAQ that appears fairly detailed and not at all
Amiga-specific, but I have lost my reference to it.  The only link I could
find was stale.

I think there is already some information about how to set up a PPP network
connection in our FAQ.

You need to know several things to set up any network connection:
        The device name of your interface.  The first (probably only)
Ethernet card is device ae0.  If you type dmesg in MacBSD there should be a
line like

ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:94:21:30:5e, type MacCon Ethernet, 32k mem.

somewhere.  If there isn't then the device isn't working.
        The name of your machine in the Domain Naming System.
        Your IP address.
        The network mask for your subnetwork (typically 255.255.255.0).
        The IP number of some gateway on your subnetwork.
        The IP number of at least one DNS server.

You can get all of this information except the machine name from the
current MacOS setup, and you can just do it like the above-referenced gif's
show.  The name of your machine is determined by the DNS and you need to
ask your local net.gods what it is if you don't already know.

As noted in the FAQ most cards that do not have a CPU on them and do not
use the Sonic chip are likely to work.  The Sonic chip is *not* used in the
Sonic-brand cards, but is used on Apple's motherboard implementation.
(This info may be oversimplified.)

Colin:  Maybe you know who your fellow FAQ-meister is and can you trace the
Amiga FAQ?  I think the .gif's are ready for publication, and the above
notes are probably sufficient cover story.  Copy them to puma;  don't point
people back to my ftp site since I still plan on turning it into a mirror
of ftp.macbsd.com someday in my copious free time.  The following
disclaimer definitely applies.