Subject: compiling xhfs
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Andresen <btandresen@ucdavis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1997 11:24:41
I'm a complete novice at this stuff, so bear with me as I ask my silly
questions.

I've installed the latest versions of both tcl and tk, and they appear to
function correctly.  When I tried compiling the tcl portion of hfsutils,
the linker complained:

ld: -ltcl7.6: no match

Here's the relevant portion of my Makefile:

CC =            gcc
INCLUDES =      -I/usr/local/include

DEFINES =       -DNODEVLOCKS
LIBS =

TCLLIBS =       -L/usr/local/lib -ltcl7.6 -lm -ldl
TKLIBS =        -L/usr/local/lib -ltk4.2
XLIBS =         -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11

In /usr/local/lib, I see a directory "tcl7.6", which doesn't contain
anything that looks like a library, and two other tcl-related files:
"tclConfig.sh" and "libtcl76.a".  Obviously, nothing matches the name of
the expected library.  Where should I be looking?

Also, I'm curious about the "-lm" and "-ldl" libraries.  The autoconfig
log for installing tcl contains "ld: -ldl: no match".  Where would I get
this library?

I'm sure there are obvious answers to these questions, but they're beyond
my knowledge at this point.  Thanks for your help!

Brian