Subject: Re: Apple Scanner
To: Andrew Brennan <brennan@crashprone.allegheny.edu>
From: David Brownlee <david@mono.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1997 18:57:16
	NetBSD has support for scanners via the PINT interface -
	(PINT == 'PINT Is Not TWAIN') the idea being you have a common
	interface to a scanner via the kernel, then different
	code inside the kernel to handle different scanners.

	The bad news is that support is only available for scanjet and
	mustek scanners (/sys/scsi/ss_scanjet.c & /sys/scsi/ss_mustek.c).

	If your Apple Scanner speaks the same language as either of
	those then it will be a simple matter to get NetBSD to
	recognise it as 'an HP scanjet compatible' or whatever.

	Otherwise... well, if you can get the docs how do you fancy
	writing a driver? :)

		David/abs	david@{mono.org,southern.com,mhm-internet.com}

     Microsoft: Asks you where you want to go. NetBSD gets you there.
System Manager: Southern Studios Ltd, PO Box 59, London N22 1AR.
  System Admin: MHM Internet, 14 Barley Mow Passage, Chiswick, London W4 4PH.
         SysOP: Monochrome, Largest UK Internet BBS - 'telnet mono.org'.