Subject: Re: color X for internal video
To: None <synapse@gim.net>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/17/1997 16:54:14
On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 00:06:00 -0500,
synapse <synapse@gim.net> wrote:
> I have heard that X11R6 works in color on some nubus video, but i really
> would like to get it running on internal video...

It is correct that my color X server does happen to work on some
NuBus/PDS video, but being NuBus or internal doesn't make any
difference for the server itself.

The color X server wants certain ioctl(2) calls to be supported by the
grf device, which are not supported by the stock grf device driver.

Taras Ivanenko has been working on the grf_mv (a.k.a. NuBus video driver)
for some time, and his driver has been working on some NuBus video cards.

On the other hand, as for the internal video, Michael Zucca is the guy
who's working on the color-X-capable grf driver.  I think IIvx is his
machine of the choice, with the most stable support of his intvid
driver.

If either of the drivers works for you, you should be able to run the
color X server in 8-bit mode.  However, the color X server does *not*
support the pixel depths of 2-bit, 4-bit, 16-bit, 24-bit or more.
Just 1-bit (B&W) and 8-bit pseudocolor.

Cheers,

Ken