Subject: Re: How to build ps
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartori@cnj.digex.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1997 06:47:39
On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Steven Sartorius wrote:

> You mentioned that ps is 'dynamically' linked with libkvm; the build I've
> done is (as far as I can tell) statically linked to libkvm.a.  The new
> 'make', which I had to build and install in order to compile the new
> kernal, seems to default to static linking.  I have no idea how to get it
> to use the shareable version of libkvm.

BTW, the reason that ps is built with static inclusion of library code is
due to the following line, taken from src/bin/Makefile.inc

	LDSTATIC=       -static

Without this line, it would default to linking against the shared object
libraries (ie, *.so.major.minor).

Things in /bin and /sbin (and maybe one or two others) are always linked
statically since the libraries themselves might be located on a file
system that hasn't yet been mounted - this would cause rtld all sorts of
grief.