Subject: Re: How to build ps
To: Steven Sartorius <ssartori@cnj.digex.net>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/16/1997 06:28:44
On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Steven Sartorius wrote:

> >Paul said:
> >Colin is correct - I just checked the Makefile for ps, and ps is
> >dynamically linked with libm and libkvm.
> >
> >So, you'll need to make a new libkvm - but since this is the Mac68K port,
> >you really need to make libkvm.old!!!
>
> I tried this with no luck.  I got the sources for both libkvm and
> libkvm.old and built a new libkvm with the Mac specific files in .old.  I
> installed this new version in /usr/lib and then rebuilt ps -- it still
> comes up with 'proc size mismatch'.

Did you cd to libkvm.old and do a make clean, make depend, make, and make
install?  That's the way it normally gets built.  (In other words,
libkvm.old is _not_ built in the libkvm directory at all.)

> You mentioned that ps is 'dynamically' linked with libkvm; the build I've
> done is (as far as I can tell) statically linked to libkvm.a.  The new
> 'make', which I had to build and install in order to compile the new
> kernal, seems to default to static linking.  I have no idea how to get it
> to use the shareable version of libkvm.

Yep, it is indeed built statically.  (I missed that before - sorry.)  But
all that means is that the contents of the various objects from the
library are included in the executable at link time, rather than at run
time.  They still come from the library.

So, after you rebuilt libkvm.old (and installed it with the right name,
libkvm) did you then rebuild ps?