Subject: Re: /dev/rsd0a NOT LABELED AS A BSD SYSTEM
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/15/1997 06:43:00
On 14.02.97 23:50, Bill Studenmund wrote:

>> I have recently reinstalled NetBSD off of the InfoMagic BSDisc and also
>> used Installer 1.1c to install zsh-3.0.2.  Now when I boot I get the
>> following message:
>
>I gather you were able to deal with the fact that they seem to have
>mis-labeled some of the files (either they are binhex and not labeled,
>or they are labeled binhex and aren't). I doubt you would have been
>able to do anything if you hadn't.

Actually, being a newbie really helped out here, because I didn't know to
look for the differences in the labelling, so it didn't confuse me.  The
CDROMs (there are two in the set) are mis-labeled though.  Disk one is
labeled Disk two and vice versa.  That had me going for a little bit when
I first began looking for the NetBSD files.

>> /dev/rsd0a: /dev/rsd0a: BAD SUPER BLOCK; MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
>> /dev/rsd0a: UNEXPECTED CONSISTANCY; Run fsck_ffs manually
>> Automatic file system check failed; help!
>>
>> It then asks me for the path name to the shell or asks me to return for
>> sh.  When I hit return it asks me my terminal type and I enter "vt220".
>> Then I type "fsck_ffs" and hit return.  It prints out on the screen:
>>
>> ** /dev/rsd0a
>> BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
>> /dev/rsd0a: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unknown)
>>
>> Now, my question:  What the hell does this mean?
>
>You have a problem. How did you format this drive? You are actually
>booting off of sd0, aren't you? Not say sd1? I think one version of the
>installer makes /etc/fstab wrong, so even though you want to use
>sd1X or sd2X, fstab says sd0a. :-(

I formatted the drive using FWB's Hard Disk Toolkit, setting it up as a
A/UX 2.0 disk.  I don't think the formatting is the problem though, since
I did at one time have NetBSD up and running on it.

I think what I need to do is go back and work through the changes I made,
one at a time.  In this one installation I:

1. switched from Installer 1.1 to 1.1c
2. switched from Booter 1.9.4 to Booter 1.9.5 (of which I think there are
actually two versions?)
3. booted using a Booter that sits on my Mac's hard drive rather than a
Booter that sits on a minimal Mac partition on the NetBSD-formatted
drive,
4. used a newer version of mkfs, and
5. used the installer to move zsh-3.0.2 onto the NetBSD root and user
partition.

So, I guess it should come as no surprise after a "witch's brew" of
changes such as this that I would have problems.  First step I think will
be to boot using the older Booter that is installed on the minimal Mac
partition.  If that doesn't work, I will re-install the NetBSD package
using Installer 1.1 (not 1.1c).

Thanks,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com
TSSchulze@aol.com
theodore.schulze@metronet.de

Hope is not a course of action.  (But prayer is a combat multiplier.)