Subject: X in a loop, PPP settings not quite right...
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Raymond <xray@cs.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1997 16:40:34
I got pppd set up ok I thought, but then I realized that I haven't been
logging errors (they've been coming through the console), about 6 different
errors (I can't give the specifics, and I'll getting to why I can't).

At the same time I got pppd mostly working, I was trying to connect with
eXodus 6.0.1 with no luck, some error about "incorrect login" with any of
the users I'd set up.  Telnet works, ftp works, but no remote X.  I saw the
post about http://macaroni.cs.wits.ac.za/xsetup.html and I followed those
instructions, however I followed them verbatim, thinking if there was
something that was supposed to be customized for a particular setup that I
neglected I could go back and fix it.

Then I experienced two things - I had disconnected from PPP on the MacOS
side, tried to reconnect, and found I couldn't (looks like pppd has quit
after a successful session?  perhaps I have to explicity tell it to
re-launch after it closes down?)  So then I went to the Mac II itself to
login, and faced with the nice xdm login screen, I assumed everything was
ok, but when I enter a username and password, the screen goes white with
the little black cursor at the bottom (back at the console for a moment?),
then grey X, then back to the login screen!

Right now I can think of no way to get into MacBSD, so my Mac II just sits
there.

I'll probably just end up force-rebooting, then logging in by ppp, and then
fix the files... if only I knew what I did wrong.  (For future reference,
is there a way to stop xdm from loading at startup if its misconfigured the
way I must have?)  Where did I go wrong?

--
Nathan Raymond
<mailto:xray@cs.brandeis.edu>           nraymond@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu