Subject: /dev/rsd0a NOT LABELED AS A BSD SYSTEM
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1997 14:56:00
I have recently reinstalled NetBSD off of the InfoMagic BSDisc and also
used Installer 1.1c to install zsh-3.0.2.  Now when I boot I get the
following message:

/dev/rsd0a: /dev/rsd0a: BAD SUPER BLOCK; MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
/dev/rsd0a: UNEXPECTED CONSISTANCY; Run fsck_ffs manually
Automatic file system check failed; help!

It then asks me for the path name to the shell or asks me to return for
sh.  When I hit return it asks me my terminal type and I enter "vt220".
Then I type "fsck_ffs" and hit return.  It prints out on the screen:

** /dev/rsd0a
BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
/dev/rsd0a: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unknown)

Now, my question:  What the hell does this mean?

Also, I have made sure that single user is not checked in Booter 1.9.5 (I
don't know which 1.9.5), but it still tells me I am in a read-only file
system.  "mount -u" has no effect.

What am I doing wrong?  I guess since I don't have anything "important"
on the system, I can wipe it clean and start over.  But still, I'd rather
not if it is salvageable from here.  Besides, I might just learn
something.

(BTW, I bought the "red book".  Looks to be very useful, if I could find
time to read it through!)

Oh, while I am at it, on my preivous install, I tried to mount my cdrom
drive.  I followed the procedure in the FAQ  I looked to see if /dev/cd0
existed.  It didn't so I entered:

cd /dev
MAKEDEV cd0

All I got back was "MAKEDEV not found" or some such.  Do I need to
compile MAKEDEV or do something extra to make sure it is there?

TIA,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze   71410.25@compuserve.com

Overheard in the Deep Ops Planning Cell:
"Yeah, but remember, Custer *died* in a 'target-rich environment'!"