Subject: Re: NetBSD Help Please =)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Schmidt <jas@grizzly.cs.utah.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/14/1997 10:43:04
Bill Studenmund writes:

 > > Hello!
 > >
 > > I think we had this problem not so long ago, if I remember right, you
 > > need for the LC III a generic-kernel.
 >
 > ?? If he's using a 1.2 distribution kernel, he IS using a generic kernel.
 >
 > If you mean one of the GENERIC test kernels off of puma, then please
 > point him there.
 >
 > A "generic" kernel is just a standard, uncustomized kernel which should
 > work on many types of supported computers. It's not optimized for any
 > performance regime.
 >
 > Take care,
 >
 > Bill

You want to get on of the SBC kernels.  I am using GENERICSBC-15 on my
LCIII and haven't had any problems.  The kernel found in the standard
1.2 distribution did not work for me.  I also had problems with the
ADB test kernels too.  The SBC kernels were the only ones that worked
consistently for me in my LCIII.  As far as I know, things only work
in B&W (1 bit mode).  I haven't updated to the most recent SBC kernels
because I haven't had any reason to.  You can find the SBC kernels at:

	ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/

John Schmidt
jas@cs.utah.edu