Subject: Experimental quadra nubus colorkit kernel!!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stephen C. Brown <sbrown@shellx.best.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/13/1997 04:00:45
I guess the title pretty much says it all.  There is a new kernel at:

<ftp://ftp.best.com/pub.s/sbrown/NetBSD/kernels/dormouse#1.tar.gz>

It represents the "colorkit" patches applied to -current source as
of January 4th(Still NetBSD 1.2B).  I know that it is compatible with
the machines where color X already functioned(or at least it works on
my Mac IIx).  I am also told (by John Plotecher) that it gives color
X on the Q700.  It is possible that it will function on other quadra
systems as well.  Please note that it will NOT do color X on internal
video.  In fact, at the moment it will not even configure the grf*
devices for internal video(future enhancement ;-)... ).

It is very experimental.  I just compiled it and have not had any
time to stress test it.  I have definitely not been able to test
it in a quadra as I don't have a video card that will fit in my
Q610.  The big drawback of the Q610 is that it is in that little
"pizza box" case.  Therefore, it will only take the "shorter"
nubus cards.  And, even then, you have to buy an "elbow" adapter
to mate the card(laid flat) with the slot on the board.  :-(...
Has anyone on the list got a Q610 with nubus video???  If so,
let me know what card and if this kernel works.  Although, I may
just hold out for internal video.......

Steve Brown,
sbrown@best.com

p.s.  Since there is a three day weekend coming up, I'll try to clean
        up the patches and post diffs on ftp before the end of the week-
        end.  I also plan on working on the installer some this week-
        end.  Yes, I know I keep saying the new one's out any day
        now, but work has really eaten at my time recently.