Subject: Re: more connection and other questions
To: jfron <jfron@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/12/1997 02:32:11
> pardon my sheer density in these matter, but:
>
> 1) i am using the ppp.setup.tgz files
> 2) i *think* i've configured everything in /etc correctly, but maybe i've
> misunderstood or not filled something in propperly:
>
> /etc/resolv.conf:
> nameserver 128.174.5.58
> nameserver 128.174.36.254
> domain cso.uiuc.edu

Shouldn't this last line be first?  It might not matter.

> /etc/myname:
> mymachine
>
> /etc/hosts:
> 127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.uiuc.edu

You might want to add mymachine to the above line, since otherwise it
won't recognize that localhost == mymachine (or at least I think that's
how it works).

> /etc/ppp/options:
> passive
> crtscts
> defaultroute
> lock
> lcp-echo-interval 30
> lcp-echo-failure 10
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> domain cso.uiuc.edu
> mtu 1500
> name jfron
> disconnect /etc/ppp/ppp-down
>
> first, on ppp-up, the modem is dialed, and it sounds like a connection is
> established, but nothing gets routed out.  (eg. ping, even by ip#, cannot
> find route)

What happens if you do a netstat -r?

> secondly, ppp-down does not hang up the modem, nor does: chat '' ATH
>
> thirdly, even after killing pppd, the modem is continuously re-connected;
> if i power cycle the modem, it redials, etc.
>
> i can't make heads or tails of what i'm doing wrong from the pppd or chat
> man pages.  any help is much appreciated.

Hmm...either Bill or Paul would be better at figuring out this one ;-)

> finally, is there a how-to on compiling for stupid newbies?
> just for compiling already-made packages.  the extent of knowledge that
> my limited programming has leant me is for single files (ie, gcc prog.c)

For the most part, packages will include a readme telling you what you
need to know.  For non-X-based packages, it is usually sufficient to
simply type "make" in the package's source directory (that's assuming
there is a Makefile in that directory, which is almost always the case).

For X-based packages, it's usually:

xmkmf

followed by:

make

So, just check the README file (or INSTALL, or anything else that might
look relevant) to see if there is anything you need to configure first,
then do a "make" and off it goes.

I hope this helps some.

Later.