Subject: more connection and other questions
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: jfron <jfron@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1997 21:48:15
pardon my sheer density in these matter, but:

1) i am using the ppp.setup.tgz files
2) i *think* i've configured everything in /etc correctly, but maybe i've
misunderstood or not filled something in propperly:

/etc/resolv.conf:
nameserver 128.174.5.58
nameserver 128.174.36.254
domain cso.uiuc.edu

/etc/myname:
mymachine

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1		localhost localhost.uiuc.edu

/etc/ppp/options:
passive
crtscts
defaultroute
lock
lcp-echo-interval 30
lcp-echo-failure 10
netmask 255.255.255.0
domain cso.uiuc.edu
mtu 1500
name jfron
disconnect /etc/ppp/ppp-down

first, on ppp-up, the modem is dialed, and it sounds like a connection is
established, but nothing gets routed out.  (eg. ping, even by ip#, cannot
find route)

secondly, ppp-down does not hang up the modem, nor does: chat '' ATH

thirdly, even after killing pppd, the modem is continuously re-connected;
if i power cycle the modem, it redials, etc.

i can't make heads or tails of what i'm doing wrong from the pppd or chat
man pages.  any help is much appreciated.

finally, is there a how-to on compiling for stupid newbies?
just for compiling already-made packages.  the extent of knowledge that
my limited programming has leant me is for single files (ie, gcc prog.c)

TIA
--
Jim