Subject: Re: FPE
To: None <macintosh-guru@televar.com>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1997 11:28:30
> > > adb: bus subsystem
> > > adb: mapped device (16) at 2
> > > adb: 200 dpi mouse at 3
> > > adb: unknown type device (def 7, handler 2 at 7)
> >
> > Just wondering, what kind of mouse are you using again?  The above is not
> > an apple standard mouse...and for that matter, the keyboard is not
> > standard either...
>
> The boot that this was taken from was using an Apple Desktop Bus Mouse
> II and an Apple Keyboard II.

How weird, the kernel should be able to detect your keyboard and mouse
correctly (I use the same thing, and I get something more like 100 dpi
mouse at 3, and Apple Keyboard II at 2 or something like that).

> Being a newbie to all this, I (unfortunately) do not know how to install
> *only* /sbin/init, however I would be more than happy to try this if you
> (or anyone) would like to tell me how.  Is it indeed something as easy
> as uncompressing the archive and then using the minishell to cd into the
> directory and using cpin to copy the single file?  Or is it more
> difficult than this?

I'm not sure what the best way to do it is if you only have the MacOS
tools in which to do it.  You could uncompress it (using whatever you
want for the gunzip), and then find a copy of a program like tar which
understands tar files and extract init from the archive.  You could then
indeed simply copy it in.  I'm not sure quite how easy this is.  If it is
too much trouble, I'd recommend simply reinstalling the entire base
distribution.

Later.