Subject: Re: FPE
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Macintosh Guru (Greg Evans) <macintosh-guru@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/11/1997 09:08:48
Colin Wood wrote:

> > > Well, if you're sure that you have an FPU (i.e., a full 68040 and not a
> > > 68LC040 or (even worse) 68EC040 (which I don't think that Apple ever
> > > used), then you probably are seeing a SCSI error and not the FPE error.
> >
> > Apple Macintosh Quadra 610 (68040)
> > <snip...full output is included below>
> > fpu0 at obio0 (mc68040)
> >
> > OK, so now we know that  I must be seeing a SCSI error right??
> >
> > adb: bus subsystem
> > adb: mapped device (16) at 2
> > adb: 200 dpi mouse at 3
> > adb: unknown type device (def 7, handler 2 at 7)
>
> Just wondering, what kind of mouse are you using again?  The above is not
> an apple standard mouse...and for that matter, the keyboard is not
> standard either...

The boot that this was taken from was using an Apple Desktop Bus Mouse
II and an Apple Keyboard II.

> > Now, *IF* I press Control-C or Control -Q during the repeating
> > process (pid1) got signal 10 error, I get the following:
> >
> > process (pid1) got signal 10panic:kernel jump to 0
> > stopped at _Debugger +0x6:       unlk    a6
> > db>
> >
> > At which point I can do nothing :(  Can't type or anything.....
> >

> Have you tried re-installing /sbin/init ???  It might simply be that the
> binary is slightly corrupted, and simply reinstalling it will fix the
> problem.

Being a newbie to all this, I (unfortunately) do not know how to install
*only* /sbin/init, however I would be more than happy to try this if you
(or anyone) would like to tell me how.  Is it indeed something as easy
as uncompressing the archive and then using the minishell to cd into the
directory and using cpin to copy the single file?  Or is it more
difficult than this?

> I hope this helps.

Me too <g>