Subject: Re: FPE??
To: None <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Greg Evans <gevans@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1997 23:37:48
briggs@puma.macbsd.com wrote:

> > Sorry for being stupid here, howeve rI cannot remember what the FPE bug
> > is....could you enlighten me?  I looked in the bug reports, and found
> > nothing......I am feeling dumb, as I know I have read about this before.
>
> Well, if you're sure that you have an FPU (i.e., a full 68040 and not a
> 68LC040 or (even worse) 68EC040 (which I don't think that Apple ever
> used), then you probably are seeing a SCSI error and not the FPE error.

Apple Macintosh Quadra 610 (68040)
<snip...full output is included below>
fpu0 at obio0 (mc68040)

OK, so now we know that  I must be seeing a SCSI error right??

> Do you have the equipment with which to boot with a serial console and
> upload (mail) the boot output and disk errors to me?  Please also
> describe your SCSI chain--what devices are where, with what IDs and
> where the termination is on the chain...  BSD is a lot more picky about
> this than the MacOS.

SCSI Chain (Varies)

Normal chain is as follows:
ID 0 = Internal Quantum LPS 270s
ID 1 = Matshita CD-ROM (Internal)
ID 4 = Micropolis 1936 A/V tuned ~3 Gigabyte HDD

Termination is on ID4 with external SCSI Terminator

Other Chains I have tried:

(Minimal Chain)
ID 0 -Internal Quantum LPS 270s
ID 1 -Matshita CD-ROM (Internal)

Normal Chain (as above) plus
ID 3 -SyQuest EZ135 Removable

Normal Chain (as above) plus
ID 5 -Pinnacle Micro CDR-1000 (Recordable CD-ROM Drive)

Normal Chain (as above) plus
ID 3 -SyQuest EZ135 Removable
ID 5 -Pinnacle Micro CDR-1000 (Recordable CD-ROM Drive)

Termination for all configs. has an external SCSI Terminator on the last numbered
Drive in the chain.

> Did you also say that your machine was clock-chipped?
> Is that a modification that is easy to remove and
> replace?  If so, please try it unaccelerated.  If I'm mis-remembering,
> please forgive me.

Not my machine.  It *did* have a DOS card in it which was the first thing that  I
removed when the initial boot process would not work with 1.2 or Madhatter #35 or
Madhatter #36.

So far the only *partial* succeses that I have had are with GENERICSBC-21,
GENERICSBC-22, and GENERIC_77

Allen, I am not exactly sure how to do a serial boot, so here is the information
that I see when it boots.

[preserving 292135 bytes of netbsd symbol table]
Copyright (c) 1982, 1986....
<blah blah>

NetBSD 1.2 (GENERIC) 77: Fri Nov 29 17:39:30 PST 1996
root2@wormhole:/disks/src/sys/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
Apple Macintosh Quadra 610 (68040)
real mem=25165824
avail mem=21368832
Using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Quadra/Centris ROMs' ROM glue tracing off, debug off, silent traps
mrg:I/O map kludge for ROMs that use hardware addresses directly
adb: bus subsystem
adb: mapped device (16) at 2
adb: 200 dpi mouse at 3
adb: unknown type device (def 7, handler 2 at 7)
mainbus0 (root)
obio0 at mainbus0
adb0 at obio0 (ADB event device)
asc0 at obio0 Apple Sound Chip
esp0 at obio0: address 0x897000:NCR53C96 16 MHz, target 7
scsibus0 at esp0
sd0at scsibus0 targ0 lun0: <Quantum,LPS270s,540A> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 258MB, 2740 cyl, 2 head, 96 sec, 512 bytes/sec
cd0 at scsibus0 targ 1 lun0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-8004, 1.0p> SCSI2
5/cdrom removable
sd1 at scsibus0 targ4 lun0: <MICROP, 1936-21MZ1007503, mv10> SCSI2
0/direct fixed
sd1: 2873MB, 2772 cyl, 21 head, 101 sec, 512 bytes/sec
zsc0 at obio0 chiptype 0
zstty0 at zsc0 channel 0
zstty1 at zsc0 channel 1
fpu0 at obio0 (mc68040)
nubus0 at mainbus0
root on sd0a swap on sd0b
pram: 0x32fe2d40, macos_boottime: 0x32fe2d38
process (pid1) got signal 10
process (pid1) got signal 10
process (pid1) got signal 10
process (pid1) got signal 10
process (pid1) got signal 10
process (pid1) got signal 10
etc, etc,

Now, *IF* I press Control-C or Control -Q during the repeating
process (pid1) got signal 10 error, I get the following:

process (pid1) got signal 10panic:kernel jump to 0
stopped at _Debugger +0x6:       unlk    a6
db>

At which point I can do nothing :(  Can't type or anything.....

-Greg Evans
"You know that it is bad when you are laughing that something is not working, and
it is *your* something that is not working."