Subject: Re: X ok, info on setting up PPP server? (not client)
To: Nathan Raymond <xray@cs.brandeis.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1997 17:44:40
> Thanks to everyone for the pointers on getting X to work, but I should
> mention a few things first:
>
> setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/X11R6/lib
>
> did NOT work for me. Then, I followed these directions:

I may have to change this section of the FAQ.  I think that the problem
is that the startx script must be starting a shell with the -f option
somewhere and managing to ignore the environment you set with the above
line (I mean technically speaking, it should work as far as Unix goes, I
believe).

> > 2. do it the right way by adding the following to your /etc/rc file:
> >
> > if [-f /var/run/ld.so.hints]; then
> >      # remove the linkage editor cache in case it is corrupted
> >>      rm -f /var/run/ld.so.hints
> > fi
> >
> >       Also add this to /etc/rc.local:
> >
> >       #
> >       # Build the link-editor fast directory cache.
> >       #
> >       ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib; echo "link-editor directory cache"
> >
> > Much thanks to Jim Wise (jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu) for the hint
> > about the -m flag to ldconfig. I believe that this will make the above
> > addition to /etc/rc unnecessary.
>
> I found that spaces need to be added inside the brackets of the "if"
> statement for the /etc/rc file, else a syntax error.  Also, this did not
> create an ld.so.hints file when I rebooted.  I removed the "-m" merge
> option and rebooted, but the file still didn't exist.  I then removed the
> addition to /etc/rc which deletes the file, then manually ran ldconfig at
> the command line, verified ld.so.hints existed, added the "-m" option back
> into rc.local, verified that startx worked ok, rebooted, and verified that
> startx worked again.

Thanks for noting the syntax error, I'll have to check on that and fix it
if need be.  As for the -m flag and all, I noticed that I did have some
trouble getting things to work again once I re-installed netbsd.
However, I believe that ldconfig doesn't actually need the -m flag at all
in this context.  After reading the man pages, -m just causes a merge,
whereas without the -m, a complete rebuild is done.  Jim was worried that
the rebuild would somehow ignore the default directories (i.e. the ones
not listed on the command line).  However, I don't think that this is the
behaviour of the ldconfig command.  In all reality, I now just have the
following line in my ld.so.conf file:

/usr/X11R6/lib

and that seems to do the trick (the latest version of the etc
distribution includes conf files for setting up a number of things,
including the ldconfig line.

> Is there any need to have /etc/rc remove ld.so.hints?  It just seems to
> keep things from working and/or add a confusing step to the whole process.

Well, the original reason for this was that when I originally added the
ldconfig line to my rc.local file, I kept getting a corrupted ld.so.hints
file.  Because of this, the boot process would die (ugh!).  So, if I
removed the file earlier on during boot, everything would be just fine.

However, I doubt that this is necessary now.  I'll have to fix that part
of the FAQ as well.  Thanks for reminding me!

> BTW, I was pretty happy to find that my Alps Glidepoint touchpad registers
> as a 3-button device and works fine under X as such.

So all 3 buttons work as they should?  Cool, I'll have to add that to the
list of working ADB hardware.