Subject: X ok, info on setting up PPP server? (not client)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nathan Raymond <xray@cs.brandeis.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1997 18:18:26
Thanks to everyone for the pointers on getting X to work, but I should
mention a few things first:

setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/X11R6/lib

did NOT work for me. Then, I followed these directions:

> 2. do it the right way by adding the following to your /etc/rc file:
>
> if [-f /var/run/ld.so.hints]; then
>      # remove the linkage editor cache in case it is corrupted
>>      rm -f /var/run/ld.so.hints
> fi
>
>       Also add this to /etc/rc.local:
>
>       #
>       # Build the link-editor fast directory cache.
>       #
>       ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib; echo "link-editor directory cache"
>
> Much thanks to Jim Wise (jim@santafe.arch.columbia.edu) for the hint
> about the -m flag to ldconfig. I believe that this will make the above
> addition to /etc/rc unnecessary.

I found that spaces need to be added inside the brackets of the "if"
statement for the /etc/rc file, else a syntax error.  Also, this did not
create an ld.so.hints file when I rebooted.  I removed the "-m" merge
option and rebooted, but the file still didn't exist.  I then removed the
addition to /etc/rc which deletes the file, then manually ran ldconfig at
the command line, verified ld.so.hints existed, added the "-m" option back
into rc.local, verified that startx worked ok, rebooted, and verified that
startx worked again.

Is there any need to have /etc/rc remove ld.so.hints?  It just seems to
keep things from working and/or add a confusing step to the whole process.

BTW, I was pretty happy to find that my Alps Glidepoint touchpad registers
as a 3-button device and works fine under X as such.

I searched through the online docs, notes and faqs, but was unable to find
any info on how to set up a serial PPP connection where NetBSD is the
server, not the client.  In other words, I want to have my Q630 running OT
1.1.2 w/PPP 1.0 connect through an ImageWriter (null modem din-8) cable to
my Mac II running NetBSD so I can run eXodus on my Q630 (very important
since I only have one monitor for both computers).  Should I just scour
through the man pages or does anyone have some quick info they could share?
I have verified that OT/PPP does indeed support direct serial connections,
so there will be no problem on that side.  Its just a matter of getting the
Mac II to listen on one of its serial ports for a PPP connection (is the
modem or printer port better for this? I seem to remember the modem port
has a higher priority than the printer port).

Thanks again for any info!

--
Nathan Raymond
<mailto:xray@cs.brandeis.edu>           nraymond@staff.feldberg.brandeis.edu