Subject: Re: Quadra610 Boot problems...ALMOST THERE I THINK!!!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Macintosh Guru (Greg Evans) <macintosh-guru@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1997 13:49:22
Bill Studenmund wrote:

> > On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, Greg Evans wrote:
> >
> > .. I can *partially* boot using the following Kernels (they all get to the
> > .. same place)
> > ..
> > .. nubus0 at mainbus0
> > .. root on sd0a swap on sd0b
> > .. pram: 0x32fe2d40, macos_boottime: 0x32fe2d38
> > .. process (pid1) got signal 10
> > .. process (pid1) got signal 10
> > .. process (pid1) got signal 10
> > .. process (pid1) got signal 10
> > .. process (pid1) got signal 10
> > .. process (pid1) got signal 10
> > .. etc, etc,
> > ..
> > ..
> >
> > To me this look like you might be booting into multi-user operation.
> >
> > Try to boot into single-user (check box in booter) and then see
> > how the boot process proceeds.
> >
> > If you get a prompt for a shell and then a shell prompt, try to do
> > a fsck and verify that your /dev directory is populated.
>
> I STRONGLY second this recomendation. I ran into this exact problem this
> weekend on my SE/30. I had just installed 1.2 from single-user, and
> rebooted. I got this error, rebooted into single-user & fsck'd.
>
> Everything was fine after that.
>
> Take care,
>
> Bill

Bill, Erik and everyone else,

I *believe* that I am booting into single-user mode, however I WILL
indeed confirm that when I get home this evening from work.

I am wondering about the message  I recieved stating the follwoing
however:

>Well, signal 10 is (AFAICT) SIGBUS.  Looks like something in your
>system is causing bus errors...

Wouldn't it stand to reason however, that if I am getting bus errors on
the Un*x side, I *should* be getting them on the Mac side as well??

I do not have any non-standard hardware installed in my machine.  The
only thing that is different internally is that the CD-ROM drive has
been changed from SCSI ID 3 to SCSI ID 1.

I *did* at one point have a 486SX/25 DOS card installed, however  I had
taken it out before my attempt to install NetBSD.

Hopefully I have been attempting to boot into multi-user mode and that
is the problem......

BTW:  (if Paul Goyette is reading this) where can I get a list of error
messages that will tell me what "process (pidx) got signal xx" and other
error messages mean.

Thanks (again),

Greg Evans