Subject: Re: LC040 support?
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1997 10:31:52
On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:

> > > Also, whenever I tried running fsck on my mostly-broken installation, fsck
> > > said that it couldn't write to certain blocks on the disk when I tried to
> > > mark the filesystem clean. Huh? Is this related to the FPE bug?
> >
> > Maybe.  Maybe not.  I'm not brave enough to run any userland program
> > on my LC630 before I fix the FPE bug.
>
> FWIW, my 68LC040-based Quadra 610 had *exactly* the same problem with fsck.
> This doesn't guarantee that the problem is related to the FPE bug, but it
> shows that at least two different 68LC040 systems have had exactly the same
> problems when booting up.

Sounds more like a scsi driver bug, at least that'd be my guess.  The
ncrscsi96 driver is partially derived from the ncrscsi driver, but with
several changed commands, right?  Would that happen to be a quantum drive,
less than 3 years old?  Because that's basically the same symptom that
some people got with the ncrscsi driver on some pre ...c96 with certain
drives.  That's why a lot of ppl use the sbc driver.  If there's some
shared code, it would then seem somewhat likely that the problem would be
in the code that's held in common between the two drivers, and in
something that's not in the sbc driver.  (Of course, it could be two
separate problems, simply w/ the same basic symptoms, i.e.  hard
read/write errors.)

Thoughts?

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |