Subject: Re: Problem with X over a serial line
To: Arnaud Blanchard <jblancha@pratique.fr>
From: Adrian Fowler <adrian@dcs.qmw.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/10/1997 12:30:14

> > If some things show up, then
> > the X connection is basically ok. You should check and see what
> > the disgnostic messages are from the command (I know MacX will
> > spit stuff out).
>
> That is the 2nd problem...
> Program are not crashing , or stopping with an error message, it's just
> doing nothing.....waiting.
> So I tried with Exodus6.01...... I got exactly the same thing.... :-(
>
> > Also, check and make sure you have enough pty's (pseudo-tty's).
> > Files like /dev/ptyp4, /dev/ptyp5, etc should exist (you got ptyp0 through
> > ptyp3 in the base install; I'm suggesting you need more).
>
> I've tried this, and I have always the same problem...
>
> I got X11R6.1, but MI/X, or Exodus6.01 is X11R6.0 server...
> Perhpas I must install the old X distribution.... ?
>

> /jblancha@pratique.fr

Just an idea, but using MacX 1.2 to export stuff over a ppp link from Uni
died when I switched to OT.  I used to try and runn xterms, and just as you
have said, nothing happens.  It doesn't die or anything.. just never shows
up.

No idea why this is, although my money is on the MacTCP Communications tool.

adrian
--
        Adrian M. Fowler          | Time flies like an arrow  |
      adrian@dcs.qmw.ac.uk        | Fruit flies like a banana |