Subject: login over the other serial port
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott M. Blackman <blackmsm@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1997 22:06:05
I am unable to get NetBSD to run getty on the "other" serial port.  I have a
PB160 running on a serial console, and would like to log in on the other
serial port.  I have enabled both tty00 and tty01 in /etc/ttys (both are
generic.9600 or whatever it is).  I can enable either Printer or Modem port
as the serial console, and it works.  However, when I try to log in over the
other port, all I get are my characters echoing back to me.  This tells me
that NetBSD is seeing my characters.  getty is running in the "ps x" list.

What files besides /etc/ttys and /etc/gettytab do I need to look at?
I am thinking that the powerbook might not power on the "other" serial port
unless it is actually connected to my terminal at boot time? ( I would
login over the other port by unplugging and replugging my terminal )

Also, if I type "echo hi > /dev/tty01" (when I'm logged in over tty00) then
my characters over tty00 no longer reach the computer.  That is, ^C or ^Z do
nothing except get echoed back to the screen, and I can't break out of my
echo job.  I have to reboot the computer, which plays hell with my disk
structure since nothing gets unmounted.

This is the whole reason for getting the other serial line running, so I
could log in over it and kill the job or at least reboot!

The Serial Console-HOWTO is no help.  Any suggestions?

Scott Blackman
blackmsm@ctrvax.vanderbilt.edu