Subject: Re: Mac II, NetBSD 1.2, trouble starting X
To: Nathan Raymond <xray@cs.brandeis.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1997 19:40:46

Check the FAQ:  http://www.macbsd.com/macbsd/macbsd-docs/faq/

> And a few other questions:
>
> I want to set up this Mac II for X software development... what else (if
> anything) do I need?

Make sure that you have the compiler and all the libraries installed,
plus any development tools that you happen to like.

> The Mac II has an Asante NuBus ethernet card, I have a Quadra 630 without
> ethernet that I will keep running the MacOS on and which I use to connect
> to the internet via modem PPP.  If I get a commslot ethernet card, could I
> set up X-sessions from the Mac II to the Quadra 630, or do I need more
> hardware?  Internet connectivity for NetBSD isn't essential, but would be a
> nice bonus.  How about LocalTalk?  Any support for that in NetBSD (I doubt
> it)?  How about just setting up a text terminal via serial ports, that'll
> work in a pinch, eh?

That hardware should be enough.  As for LocalTalk, sorry, no support at
the moment, but I think Bill Studenmund has some ideas on it.  As for the
text terminal, that should work quite easily.  Just check out the Serial
Console HOWTO (I'm not sure where that is right at the moment, btw).

> What is the best way to get tar.gz files that I've downloaded on my Q630 to
> NetBSD on my Mac II?

If their etherneted together, use FTP, otherwise...hmmm...have any
external hard drives?

> Thanks in advance for any info!

I hope this helps some.

Later.