Subject: Re: LC040 support?
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@geocities.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1997 17:00:11
>    Out of curiosity, what actual kernels boot your system, and where
>can I find them?  I have a 636CD, and would really like to see a kernel
>boot (all of the test ones I've been given crash very early on, and the
>ADB doesn't work when it drops to the debugger.  I don't have a SCSI
>drive, so I know it'll die once it trys to mount root.  I'd just like to
>watch a kernel boot, as incentive to get a SCSI drive...  =)
>    Also, what's your config (what resolution and depth do you run your
>monitor at, do you boot with extensions off, etc)?  I'm hoping the fact
>that kernels that should have worked on my machine didn't is because I
>was in the wrong resolution, or my ethernet card (Apple CS Ethernet)
>screwed things up, or something like that.  Any thoughts?
>    Thanks in advance
>                                                    Will Ferry

GENERIC-9 and GENERIC-22 both boot a 63x just fine (except for the FPU),
with full ADB, video, and SCSI support. Not sure about ethernet though...

Actually, the kernel won't *die* when it tries to mount your non-existent
SCSI drive. It'll give you a prompt asking for a good root device; you can
type "halt" to shut down at this point. The kernel will panic if you try
something stupid like specifying SCSI ID 3 at a root ID in the booter or at
this prompt, which would point to your CD-ROM drive (at least on a stock
63xCD).

GENERIC-9 is at ftp.macbsd.com, in /pub/NetBSD/kernels

GENERIC-22 (more recent, probably better) is at ftp.netbsd.org
in /pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels

Hope that helps =)

Make sure you're using a recent booter, like 1.9.5. I used 1.9.4 when
testing this.

As for extensions, a quick word:

Booting with extensions off under 7.5.5 or any other version of MacOS isn't
needed at all. You do need to make sure RAM Doubler is not installed (see
below about Virtual Memory), however.

In the Memory control panel, make sure 32-bit addressing is ON (not an
issue on the 630, because you can't turn it off ;) and Virtual Memory is
OFF. You will need to restart if you change one of these.

As for monitor bit depth, you need to make sure it's NOT set to Thousands
or Millions of colors. 256 Colors is fine. If you want to run dt or X11,
you need to set it to black-and-white mode.

   ___       _____ - Rolf Braun - e-mail: rbraun@geocities.com
  / _ \___  / / _/ - Sassy Software: cool stuff for Macintosh & Apple II
 / , _/ _ \/ / _/  - WWW Page at the following URL:
/_/|_|\___/_/_/    - http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/3110/