Subject: Re: Problem with X over a serial line
To: Arnaud Blanchard <jblancha@pratique.fr>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/09/1997 11:06:33

> Hi,
>
> I'm using GENERICSBC-21 on a ][ci 20/500.
> I'have installed  base12,comp12,etc12,man12,text12
> I have also installed X11R6.1 ( xbase12,xcomp12)
> but not xserver12.

Sounds good..

> I've made a ppp line on /dev/tty01 at 57600
> It's running perfectly ( I can do telnet, ftp ).
> I've download MI/X-ppc ( X server from microimage),
> , and on my shell ( with telnet), I put
> "setenv DISPLAY ip.of.my.power-mac:0.0",
> but when I launch an X11 program nothing happened,
> ( except oclock or xlogo,that are working very well...)
> HELP !!!! what can I do ????

So oclock will show up on your powermac? If some things show up, then
the X connection is basically ok. You should check and see what
the disgnostic messages are from the command (I know MacX will
spit stuff out).

Also, check and make sure you have enough pty's (pseudo-tty's).
Files like /dev/ptyp4, /dev/ptyp5, etc should exist (you got ptyp0 through
ptyp3 in the base install; I'm suggesting you need more). To make
more,

cd /dev
sh MAKEDEV pty0

Take care,