Subject: Re: How to su root? !Final!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Robinson <miker@mind.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1997 19:32:39
>Make sure that your wheel entry is of the form:
>wheel:*:0:root,whoever
>NOTE: no space after the comma
>
>I just checked, groups will show you as in wheel if you have a space after
>the comma, but when you go to su, it doesn't recognize you.
>
>I guess I should really send-pr this as, to my way of thinking, it is a bug.

Multiple thanks to Christopher R. Bowman, Colin Wood, Paul Goyette and Ken
Nakata. That did the trick!

Funny thing though, I did not make the entry in /etc/group.

I made this entry in /etc/master.passwd (by using vipw):
miker:*:100:0::0:0:Michael Robinson:/home/miker:/bin/csh

Then I saved and quit vipw and made a password for miker.
When I checked /etc/groups the addition of miker was already there - with
the colon:  wheel:*:0:root:miker

I just used vi to change the colon to a comma, no white space after, and
everything works. What phun!

Thanks again, guys, you are great!

Michael Robinson
Medford, Oregon USA