Subject: Re: How to su root?
To: Michael Robinson <miker@mind.net>
From: Christopher R. Bowman <crb@glue.umd.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1997 20:18:05
>In answer to my question, Colin Wood writes:
>
>>Michael-
>>
>>I'd try putting yourself in group 'wheel' in the passwd file (using vipw,
>>of course).  That will make your primary group 'wheel', and I think that
>>su should recognize you then..
>
>OK, I did that originally, just forgot to mention it. But I checked again
>to make sure and, yep, it's there. However, I still get the message "you
>are not in the correct group to su root."
>
>I am under the impression that 'su to root' is a sysadmin tool that allows
>you to change to root access at any terminal no matter the original login
>to affect fixes and changes, then log out of root and back to the regular
>user. Correct?
>
>BTW, is there a list for learning NetBSD or NetBSD sysadmin issues? I don't
>want to tie up this list with my occasional newbie questions (unless it's
>OK with you guys, of course :)
>
>Michael Robinson
>Medford, Oregon USA
>miker@mind.net

Make sure that your wheel entry is of the form:
wheel:*:0:root,whoever
NOTE: no space after the comma

I just checked, groups will show you as in wheel if you have a space after
the comma, but when you go to su, it doesn't recognize you.

I guess I should really send-pr this as, to my way of thinking, it is a bug.

---------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@eng.umd.edu
My home page