Subject: Re: How to su root?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Robinson <miker@mind.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1997 12:05:58
In answer to my question, Colin Wood writes:

>Michael-
>
>I'd try putting yourself in group 'wheel' in the passwd file (using vipw,
>of course).  That will make your primary group 'wheel', and I think that
>su should recognize you then..

OK, I did that originally, just forgot to mention it. But I checked again
to make sure and, yep, it's there. However, I still get the message "you
are not in the correct group to su root."

I am under the impression that 'su to root' is a sysadmin tool that allows
you to change to root access at any terminal no matter the original login
to affect fixes and changes, then log out of root and back to the regular
user. Correct?

BTW, is there a list for learning NetBSD or NetBSD sysadmin issues? I don't
want to tie up this list with my occasional newbie questions (unless it's
OK with you guys, of course :)

Michael Robinson
Medford, Oregon USA
miker@mind.net