Subject: How to su root?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Robinson <miker@mind.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/08/1997 09:06:38
With many thanks to the help I  received from people on this list, I have
NetBSD/mac68k running on my IIsi and I have some good references to learn
Unix. Thanks to all. This is gobs of fun.

I'm currently confused because I just learned how to set up a new account
for myself and now I want to su to root. When I set up my account I put
myself in the group `wheel' [:0:] in /etc/groups. But everytime I log on as
myself and give the command su, I get the message. "you are not in the
correct group to su root."

Yet when I give the command, Groups, I am told that I _am_ in the group `wheel'.
I must be missing something here. I've looked in my books and various faq's
and on-line sources but according to them I am doing everything correctly.
I tried to su toor, also, but no go there either.

If anyone has any suggestions I would be appreciative.

TIA
Michael Robinson
Medford, Oregon USA
miker@mind.net