Subject: Re: Install Generic-9 kernel boot Q650
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/1997 19:09:53
> > The question is why does
> > it take so long (something like four hours with the man & X11R6) for the
> > NetBSDmac68k flavor to install onto the Hard-drive? Not complaining,
> > just wondering???
>
> Possably 2 reasons:
>
> 1) we need to work on our SCSI drivers. :-)
>
> 2) The installer is SLOW. Try cpin'ing the .tgz files (after doing
> etc12 and base12 from the installer), booting single user, mounting
> / r/w, and use tar for the install. It's ALOT faster!

Actually, since he's doing it from the MacOS, the SCSI drivers probably
aren't the problem (since I'm assuming you'd be using the relatively fast
MacOS drivers ;-)

As for the second one, I find the best way is to install base and etc,
then grab a copy of hfs or the hfsutils and use them to do the copy from
within NetBSD.  I believe that the copy goes much faster that way.

Later.