Subject: Q610 problems...arrgh!
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Macintosh Guru (Greg Evans) <macintosh-guru@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/07/1997 16:01:12
Have been attempting to get NetBSD up and running on my Q610 to no
avail.  I *have* only been doing the minimal install required (netbsd12
and base12.)

I learned that the madhatter#35 kernel is the one that seems to be the
kernel of choice for the Quadra that I am using and located and
downloaded it.

I reformatted the drive out ran Mkfs again and installed base12 and
madhatter#35, built the devices, then attempted to boot into single user
mode (I was of course thinking "YES! This is going to work!!!)

I watched (and kept logs) of the boot process, and here is what heppens
(briefly)

Goes through boot process until it gets to:

"Bye-bye...
   So I sez to him..."  (I don't remember the full text)

Set _mac68k_vrsrc_cnt to 0.

Set _mac68k_vrsrc_vec to {0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 }.

At this point any removable media (floppies and my Syquest EZ135 if it
is hooked up [only had it hooked up once]) get ejected and the system
freezes.

About the System I am using:

Quadra 610 (Not the DOS Compatible version) w/ FPU
24 Megs RAM
DOS 486/SX25 card (Removed.  Machine did not come with this)
250MB internal HDD (Where the A/UX partitions were created, etc.)
Nokia 447L 17" Monitor (Have been attepmting to boot in B/W 640x480)
Apple 14" Color Monitor (that I have also tried)
Apple Adjustable Keyboard
Microspeed 3 button mouse
External Micropolis 1936A/V 4 partitions (none larger than 700 MB)
Prometheous Promodem 288e (28.8Kbps External modem)

Virtual Memory is off, 32bit addressing is on, and the monitor
(whichever one I use) is set to 640x480 and Black and White

I am at this point at a loss.  I have downloaded all of the generic and
genericsbc kernels I can find and am going to attempt again this evening
with each of these in turn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Evans