Subject: Re: Kernel Confusion - But I'm running (-:
To: None <NetBSD@associate.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1997 19:09:48
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 NetBSD@associate.com wrote:

> I'm wondering if we could get a bit better definition of the kernels at
> ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k.  I downloaded the GENERIC_77 from

Yeah, well, that's a long-standing problem.  The easiest solution, IMHO,
would be to put a GENERIC_77.info.txt file along with the kernel, telling
briefly what it fixes and for what systems it was intended.  That would
save a log of ppl a lot of trouble.  The same goes for any kernel
anywhere, really.  :-)

> Due to lack of documentation, I have no idea what feaures or fixes or
> in-test stuff I have.  That's kinda distressing.

You'll get used to it....  :-0

> I was suprised to not find ksh in this snapshot.  Since this is my first
> install, is this to be expected?  I thought I saw it when I tried
> OpenBSD...

Never used a NetBSD-mac68k system w/ ksh (unless I missed it on puma
somewhere... okay, so it's OpenBSD now, but still...), though it ought to
be portable enough....  Unless there are copyright issues or something.

> Finally, no matter what I tried, I coudn't get GENERICSBC_21 to let me
> write to my sd1a (root) partition.  I finally had to use cpin to get a
> manually edited /etc/fstab with the right settings.  I'm guessing this
> was a custom-compiled kernel that forced this setting?  Maybe it's just
> me.  (-;

You booted into single user.  Normally, on a single-user boot, only your
root partition gets mounted, and in read-only mode.  Either type exit to
go to single user, or type mount -u / (mount -u /dev/sd1a ought to work,
too).  Of course, in the future, you could always boot multi-user.

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |