Subject: Kernel Confusion - But I'm running (-:
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <NetBSD@associate.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1997 06:35:23
Hi,

I'm wondering if we could get a bit better definition of the kernels at ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k.  I downloaded the GENERIC_77 from the snapshot directory, and it failed to boot on my IIci.  Then I tried the ../kernels/GENERICSBC_22 and it also failed.  Then I tried the GENERICSBC_21 and it worked.

Due to lack of documentation, I have no idea what feaures or fixes or in-test stuff I have.  That's kinda distressing.

I was suprised to not find ksh in this snapshot.  Since this is my first install, is this to be expected?  I thought I saw it when I tried OpenBSD...

Finally, no matter what I tried, I coudn't get GENERICSBC_21 to let me write to my sd1a (root) partition.  I finally had to use cpin to get a manually edited /etc/fstab with the right settings.  I'm guessing this was a custom-compiled kernel that forced this setting?  Maybe it's just me.  (-;

This is a cool experience - just got some suprises.  Thanks to all who have contributed to this.  I hope my work benefits others too.

Glen