Subject: Re: zip drive eject problems
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: jfron <jfron@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1997 13:24:00
On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Feb 1997 weich3@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > has a control panel that adds the option of having the cartridge not eject
> > at restart. I don't know if that will help but if so it should also work
>
> Don't know if that would work or not.  Regardless, though, simply not
> inserting it until after MacOS boots will do the trick.  :-)

that would depend on the conditions at netbsd boot vs those on shutdown
of the mac.  the control panel is a mac-os call that ejects [or not] when
it is unmounted.  considering the findit init tries to catalog the volume
before ejecting it, this may do the trick.

another option, and one that will most likely work, is to install a
non-ejecting driver.  i've got a 2Mb apple hfs partition on my zip, and
it has the apple driver on it.  i believe this solves the problem.
BUT, inserting it after the macOS boots will allow the iomega driver (if
it is present in extensions), to load, which i believe will take over
control of the drive.  by having the disk in while booting into mac, zip
drive is checked first as a scsi device, at which time the disk-based
driver will load instead.

Jim