Subject: Re: swap problem
To: Christoph Ewering <eweri@uni-paderborn.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/06/1997 09:08:41

> Hello Jim!
> > i currently have my root filesystem on sd2a, but i cannot seem to
> > get
> > sd1a recognized as swap space.  the external drive is clearly physically
> > connected, as it is read on boot.
>
> Don't know exactly, but sdxa is allways the root-partition, and sdxb
> is for swap.
> Think your problem will be solved if you try to mount the swap with
> /dev/sd1b.
> May someone correct me if i'm wrong.

You're right about b being swap, but Jim needs to check that
disklabel sd1c shows sd1b as being SWAP.

> > i know that swap is initially looked for on the same drive as the system,
> > but when i try to swapon sd1a, either though /etc/fstab or manually, i
> > get a "device not configured" error

Swap is different. Right now, you have to configure exact swap
positions in the kernel config. I saw mention on current-users
that this situation might change in a few weeks, but for now you
have to compile a kernel w/ swap configured as you want it.

Take care,

Bill