Subject: Install Generic-9 kernel boot Q650
To: macbsd <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1997 14:59:02
I've got NetBSD base12 install running off of a Zip disk and it boots &
runs fine on both a IIsi & IIcx.  However, I would like to run it on my
Quadra 650.  Here's where the fun begins:

• I ftp'ed  the GENERIC-9 kernal and used the MacBSD installer utillity
to put it on my UNIX Root&Usr Slice 0 and then build the devices. (I
already had the base12 install on this partition)

• I then run the booter 1.9.4 with extentions off, monitor to b&w from
internal video, resolution to 640x480.

•My Mac then cruises thru the pre-booting process, ejects the zip which
I quickly reinsert,up comes the white bsd screen. a couple of lines
print on the screen and the I get a panic and it kicks me into the
Debugger as follows

--------------------------------------

Panic - ResHndls table too small

stopped at Debugger +0x6:  unlc     a6

db>

--------------------------------------

Does anyone have an idea whats going on & how I can fix it?

One more question:

I helped a friend install slackware linux on a 486 box this last
weekend. The installation process FLEW.  8 - 1.44 floppies DL-> from an
ftp site and he was up & running in no time.  The question is why does
it take so long (something like four hours with the man & X11R6) for the
NetBSDmac68k flavor to install onto the Hard-drive? Not complaining,
just wondering???

Sincerely,

Gerald T Krall