Subject: Re: NetBSD on Zip?
To: Dan and Jill Caugherty <caffeine1@mindspring.com>
From: Nicholas Coult <Nicholas.Coult@Colorado.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1997 09:15:10
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Dan and Jill Caugherty wrote:

> Hi!  I have 2 questions for y'all:
>
> -- Is it possible to put a working NetBSD installation on a Zip disk?
>    Would it be worth it?

Yes, it is quite possible - I've got a zip disk mounted right now on
my Centris 610 running NetBSD.  Partitioning and formatting it works
the same as any other disk, except that when running Mkfs you have
to enter a whole bunch of parameters yourself.  I believe there is a How-To
document which describes the appropriate parameters.  The zip disk
works great for me; I have a 50 MB root and user partition on my hard drive,
with many of the files stored on the zip disk and symbolically linked
to directories on the root partition of the hard drive.  The speed of
the disk is fine.

> -- Anything I should watch out for when trying NetBSD on my
>    Q610?

My Centris 610 has a full 68040 and ethernet so it is basically a Q610,
and NetBSD works well enough for me to use for real work.

> Thx in adv.,
> -- Dan C.

Department of Applied Math | Nicholas.Coult@Colorado.Edu |(303) 492-4543(voice)
University of Colorado     |        WWW Home Page        |(303) 492-4066 (fax)
------- http://amath-www.colorado.edu/appm/student/coult/Home.html ------------