Subject: Re: hard drive partition problems
To: None <boogeymn@psyber.com>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/05/1997 09:23:58
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:00:02 -0800 (PST),
the boogeyman <boogeymn@psyber.com> wrote:
> too late...already did reinstall...hey its a learning process! this is
> all gearing me up to tackle setting up an internet server on a PPro 200
> dual system running freebsd...i want to get a SUN but everyone keeps
> telling me that i should go with a pc...what do you guys think?

I trust NetBSD and FreeBSD _at least_ as much as Solaris 2.x as the
OS hosting a WWW server, but I don't trust some hardware, especially
some cheap hard disk drives that are sold in the home computer market.
Watch out for those cheap cooling fans, too.  They'll cause you more
trouble than they save you money.

Of course you can get a PC server much faster than a Sparc for the
same amount of money, but in order to build a *reliable* server, you
have to be very careful.  I suggest you consult the newsgroups
comp.sys.* for others' experience with their hardware.

> also, is "Apache" a free WWW server or do i have to pay for it? what are
> it's advantages over HTTPD? thanks...you guys rule :)

Urm... See http://www.apache.org/.

Ken