Subject: Re: Performa 475(w/ 68040 processor & FPU)
To: None <lelsoft1@mail1.nai.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/1997 17:51:32

> Ok, just to clear things up a bit:
>
> I have a Performa 475 with a NEW 68040 processor w/ FPU, 36MB of RAM, 1
> MB VRAM(16-bit color on 14" monitor).

Try setting the video mode to 8-bit or less. The kernel can't
support 16- or 32-bit video. (Also, even though the kernel can
support 4- and 8-bit color, and has for a while, that doesn't
mean dt or X support it, nor that the kernel supports color in
8-bit mode. You get only b&w, but you get it even if the video's
at 8-bit).

> Due to the lack of ADB support for Performa 475, and lack of 68040
> support, NetBSD crashes when booting. It doesn't even get to the white
> screen.

I thought the only problem we had was with LC040's, and that 040's were
fine. I'm not at all sure about the I/O (like SCSI) in it, though.

Take care,

Bill