Subject: Re: Kernel Compile Problems on LCII & Killing X Server
To: Dalip Dewan <dalipdew@mindspring.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/1997 17:45:48
(Please EMail messages to port-mac68k@netbsd.org, not port-mac68k-owner
as Allen then has to bother with it before it gets to us).

> I've got MacBSD running on an LCII. Been real happy with it, but figured I
> need to rebuild the kernel. I've been trying to get config to configure the
> GENERIC file which I edited to suit my setup but it barfs with "syntax
> error" messages. In the "building kernel Howto " there is some mention of a
> config.new command. But I cannot find this on my system which consists of
> almost all the packages in the snapshot. Can someone help me with this?

The how-to is out of date. Use "config" instead of "config.new". At one
time, all the ports were using slowly switching from one form of
config to another. When just a few ports had switched, there was
"config" and "config.new". A while ago (before I got involved),
the names switched to "config.old" and "config". Recently, "config.old"
disapeared.

Make sure the version of config you use matches the kernel source. If
you are compiling a -current kernel, use the -current version of
config. That's why the sys.tar.gz file contains both the kernel
source and the config source. Also, make recently changed, so if you
have 1.2 binaries and want to compile a -current kernel, you need a
newer "make" binary. I don't know if any of the snapshots have the new
make or not.

Take care,

Bill