Subject: Re: hard drive partition problems
To: the boogeyman <boogeymn@psyber.com>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/1997 14:45:04
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, the boogeyman wrote:

> too late...already did reinstall...hey its a learning process! this is
> all gearing me up to tackle setting up an internet server on a PPro 200
> dual system running freebsd...i want to get a SUN but everyone keeps
> telling me that i should go with a pc...what do you guys think?

Depends, really.  I'd get a fast PowerMac, personally, and run MkLinux on
it.  (A 7600 : http://globegate.utm.edu).  :-)

I know this part is off-topic, but did you ever notice that if you point
a traceroute at a sun (a _local_ sun), at least with SunOS 5.x, it seems
to get the first packet, miss the second one, and get the third?
Consistently?  Or is it just our pair of suns here?

> also, is "Apache" a free WWW server or do i have to pay for it? what are
> it's advantages over HTTPD? thanks...you guys rule :)

I believe that Apache is free if you're... educational or non-profit in
nature.  Never tried Apache on a NetBSD box.  I'm currently running it on
a MkLinux box, though (couldn't get NCSA's httpd running under DR2).  It
seems to be an absolute screamer, speed-wise, but then NCSA's is supposed
to be, also.  I'd _expect_ performance to be similar, considering how many
things they borrow from each other (and considering that Apache was
originally based on NCSA httpd 1.3...).  If I were you, I'd try both, and
then compare the two.  After all, their config files are about 95%
compatible (at least httpd->Apache, not sure about the other way around).

Hope that helps,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |