Subject: Re: IIcx boot ? YES!!!
To: None <a.fowler@ic.ac.uk>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/04/1997 10:09:01

> I've been havin problems getting my IIcx to boot.
>
> I tried swapping the nubus cards round and got this instead of the previous
> message
>
> fpu0 at obio0 (mc68882)
> nubus0 at mainbus0
> ae0 at nubus0: address 02:60:8c:07:cd:6b, type EtherNet card, 32KB memory
>
> So it doesn't like my nubus video card I guess....

That is one of the problems w/ our current NuBus support. :-(

> Then I set the mac up to boot automaticaly with a serial console on the
> printer port, and took out the vidion card ...
> This time it got as far as:
>
> starting local daemons:.
> Tue Feb  4 06:15:08 PST 1997
> Feb  4 06:15:09 myname init: kernel security level changed from 0 to 1
> Feb  4 06:15:12 myname getty[87]: /dev/ttye0: Device not configured
> Stopped at      _Debugger+0x6:  unlk    a6
>
> So now it can't find the screen ... :) Hmm, I wonder why that is :-)
> I guess it will boot in single user mode, but that's a read only filesystem,
> so I can't disable the ttye0 entry in the ttys file.

Hmm. You're using something later than -current, aren't you? It's
supposed to not crash the computer when you have ttye0 "on" in
/etc/ttys and don't have a screen. That bug was squished a while ago (I
thought).

What might cause a problem, though, is if you ONLY had ttye0 on in
/etc/ttys.  leaving the poor little computer w/o ANY ports for running
getty. :-)

To fix the problem, boot single user off the console, and then manually mount
root. mount /dev/sdXa / will work. Then just edit it under NetBSD. :-)

> PS: there are now three machines in our house running netbsd..
>
> Quadra 610, with ppp suport, SE30 off a ZIP drive, and finaly my IIcx,
> although I was the one who downloaded the distribution in the first place...

Cool! Sounds like a happy house. :-)

Take care,

Bill