Subject: Re: compatibility issues -
To: Ted Tickell <tickell@thecia.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/1997 18:30:56
> Back in October, I had netbsd running on the IIsi - this was fine and
> dandy, except What do I do about nubus ethernet adapters?  I need to getit
> on the network so it can use the gateway.  Anyrecomendations on what card
> to use?

Something with an 83C90 or an 83C902 should work fine. Especially
Asante or Apple cards. Look at the config code in /sys/arch/mac/dev/if_ae.c
and look at the NuBus cards supported.

I think that support for the SONIC chip set (seperate from the SONIC
Ethernet card maker) is in progress as it's in the Q700. So it's
a not-yet, but soon.

> Also, my roomate is on a leaveof absence from Vassar - the IIsi is hers
> and Vassar has and entirely local talk dorm network.  Will NetBsd be a
> plausible solution as a gateway for her two other machines assuming she
> has them on ether and the mac on on the local talk?  Form everything I
> have heard / seen, netbsd has many probs with both net boards and local
> talk - is there an answere or one in the works even?

LocalTalk is in the works, but not soon. We've first got to get
netatalk in the kernel. Since LocalTalk only speaks ddp, it's silly
to make an interface which uses an unsupported protocol. Then LocalTalk
will take a few months. Don't count on it, but it's on the way. Of course
barring other little things like my dissertation getting in the way. :-)

Take care,

Bill