Subject: Re: How do you kill the X Server?
To: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
From: Erik Bertelsen <erik@sockdev.uni-c.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/1997 15:37:40
On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Paul Goyette wrote:

.. On Mon, 3 Feb 1997, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
..
.. > And if you are running xdm, the way to do it is to find xdm's pid and then
.. > kill xdm. Xdm will then close down and in the process of doing that, it
.. > will also stop the X server.
..
.. If you're running xdm, you probably don't have a getty running on the
.. console.  So unless you've got some other way to get into the system,
.. killing xdm probably won't help.  (I learned this the hard way, while
.. getting xdm running!)

That depends. I run pcvt and then I can switch from the graphics mode
virtual terminal to one of the text mode vt's to do the killing.

regards
Erik Bertelsen