Subject: Re: New User: How do I Quit NetBSD?
To: None <btandresen@ucdavis.edu>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/03/1997 09:15:34
On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 00:34:17 -0800 (PST),
Brian Andresen <btandresen@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jan 1997, Michael Robinson wrote:
>
> > The reason I was interested in using MacBSD68k is to learn UN*X. I'm just a
> > beginner and I got so invloved in setting up MacBSD68k that I haven't had
> > time to learn how to quit UN*X or MacBSD68k yet.
>
> As root, execute "reboot".  There is at least one other way to accomplish
> the same thing ("shutdown -h now", or something like that?) but I like the
> simple commands.  ;)

Oh no, you shouldn't "reboot" in multi-user mode.  Instead, you should
use shutdown command with -r option as other have said.  "Reboot" is
fine when you are in single-user mode.

BTW, there's really no way to "quit" NetBSD and return to the state
before you started it like <put your favorite MacOS application's name
here>, if that's what Michael implied by the word "quit".  The reason
is NetBSD takes over MacOS and reuse and overwrite every bit of memory
MacOS was using.  Only thing you can do to stop NetBSD and run MacOS
is shut down the system followed by reboot.

Ken