Subject: Re: X and more
To: Matthew Becker <mbbecker@mail.deforest.k12.wi.us>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/01/1997 17:16:29
>         I am having two problems: the first being with xwindows.  I D/L all
> of the X stuff the installed it with Installer 1.1c.  I then booted NetBSD
> and typed startx.  I then was shown 'command not found.' not to be outdone,
> I tried typing the full path to the startx.  This seemed to start
> something, but then I got 'init not found' or something like that.  Still I
> didn't give up.  I added all of the paths of and of the Xwindows stuff by
> typing 'setenv PATH.' and the all of the paths I also added the
> 'LD_LIBRARY' stuff, but none of that worked!  I have NetBSD on an external
> SCSI drive and I have the SWAP on a partition on my  internal HD.

Rather than trying the LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick, I'd try the ldconfig trick
instead.  I've found it usually works.  Other than that, what error
messages (or behaviour) are you receiving now that you've tried all of
the above?

>         This leads to my second question.  After I installed NetBSD on my
> external, I booted and changed the init file for NetBSD to have the Root &
> usr portion set to sd1a and SWAp on sd0b.  When I try booting with this
> configuration I get 'root on sd1a swap on sd0b'  then later on in the boot
> I get 'WARNING no swap space found'  The is says 'device not configured.'
> I also see this 'device not configured' message when I try to mount a CD,
> even after I I made the cd device.

Assuming you're using a GENERIC kernel, I believe that you must have a
swap partition on the _same_ partition as your root partition (although
you can also have it on others, I think).  This kind of thing is compiled
into the kernel, so chaning fstab isn't going to help.  You can either
change swap partitions around, or config and build your own kernel (or
get someone to build one for you ;-)

As for the cd problem, that sounds a little weird.  If you're using a
GENERIC kernel, it should have cd devices configured into it (at least it
did the last I checked).

I hope this helps a little.

Later.